Posts Tagged → regedit
I’ve been having some major problems with audio performance on my laptop of late. I listen to a lot of mp3s, as well as some fairly heavy audio processing in Ableton Live. So when I started getting some serious glitches, I needed to get it sorted.
After defragging my hard drive, checking for viruses and spyware, removing any unnecessary start-up items and many other (unsuccessful) attempts to fix this issue, I found the following link.
Basically, for any kind of respectable audio performance in Windows, the hard drive controller needs to be set to ‘DMA’ (direct memory access), rather than ‘PIO’ (programmed input/output). You’ll see from the link that there are two possibilities, one involving a registry hack, and the other a few fairly straightforward mouse clicks.
Thanks to sniptools.com for getting me listening clearly again!