Posts Tagged → gnu
I’ve built quite a few Debian-based office servers in the last few years. Recently, I used this tutorial which was very helpful (given that I don’t do this every day, I can’t always remember every step – so tutorials are good for me).
There are lots of good reasons for using Debian. My main ones are:
- It’s a (relatively) straightforward OS to install on many machines
- The aptitude package manager allows for easy updates/upgrades
- The range of packages available is amazing
- The security is good, by default
- Debian is a great for stability – servers can run for years without rebooting
My most recent server build has been installing Debian on an old Apple Mac Mini. It’s based around the PowerPC processor, which Apple no longer supports. I’ll be blogging again soon about my this experience.